Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Boss.

This is John Lee Hooker, master of groove driven blues. If he were left without a guitar for more than 48 hours his rythms would shake him apart. His Gibson isn't an instrument, it is a sacrificial diode to the internal turmolt that drives his music.

Often, when staying with friends, I will find myself stoned and in need of blues. I'll search in a crazed stupor through their cd collections and real player files. With albums strewn across the floor, I'll be muttering things like 'You fucking bastard.... fucking Koolashaker? Is this the closest you've got?' Then, like magic there it will be. The John Lee Hooker album they were given by an impoverished relative for a birthday. Fished out of the Woolworths bargain basket, wrapped up, and forgotten about.

These albums always have 'Boom Boom' as the first track, they always have 'Crawlin Kingsnake' and they always have 'Wednesday mornin' blues'.

Always enough for me.

Trouble is I'll put it on, then reach for the nearest guitar or guitar-like instrument and screw my head right up trying to copy the rythms. I'll listen to it for a bit and think to myself 'This really is rather easy' copy a riff or two, listen again, and think 'fuck.'

Meanwhile, fings ain't gettin any easier cause I'm gettin stoned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frank Partisan said...

John Lee hooker sings the blues, I cry the blues.

I've been lucky enough to see Muddy Waters and Taj Mahal live.


I added a link to your blog at mine.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Montmarcey Brown said...

I will do the same.

I've seen the Everly Brothers and Bob Dylan live. Not sure if that counts.

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home